Old School Archives
- Features Features
- Old School Archives Old School Archives
- Lists Lists
- Mixtapes Mixtapes
Why Ice Cube finds it hard to listen to 'No Vaseline'
Many know about the feud that occurred between N.W.A and Ice Cube. Why? Because it culminated in one of hip hop’s most savage diss tracks. Whether it’s because Dr Dre said something to Jerry Heller or Ice Cube mentioned the crew in an interview, the rapper and his former crew were hurling accusations at each other consistently for the best part of two years.
However, when Ice Cube released ‘No Vaseline’, he made more than a statement and some major allegations. Ice Cube grew up with some of the N.W.A members he was dissing, and even once considered Eazy-E and Dr Dre to be his friends. However, that was in the past when ‘No Vaseline’ hit the airwaves of LA in 1991.
Cube’s diss track took aim at his former bandmates, Eazy-E, Dr Dre , MC Ren, DJ Yella and their manager, Jerry Heller. In the track, he tells Dr Dre to stop rapping and “stick to producing” and, on multiple occasions, accuses the crew members of sodomy. ‘No Vaseline’ is a ruthless and vicious diss track. Its main line is, “you’re gettin’ fucked out your green (money) by a white boy with no Vaseline”.
However, despite the track, no living members of N.W.A hold any grudges presently. Cube and Dre even reunited on stage again after 27 years at Coachella in April 2016. Talking to radio personality Howard Stern in 2016, Ice Cube, speaking on making amends with Dr Dre, stated, “We just went forward. We’re gonna always be like that. I don’t care if we don’t talk to each other for 10 years, when we see each other, it’s gonna be like yesterday.”
The rapper, though, has admitted he doesn’t regret recording the track one iota. In an interview on the Late Night Show with Seth Meyers, Jackson revealed that “There’s always been this and, you know, me and NWA got into it, so I had to let ’em know”. The rapper admitted, “It’s hard to listen to those songs now, ’cause we cool, I love Dre and Ren and Eazy…you know they’re my guys!”
Jobs / Careers
© 2023 Hip Hop Hero
- Songwriter Interviews
- Song Writing
- Fact or Fiction
- They're Playing My Song
- Songfacts Pages
- Songwriting Legends
- Songfacts Podcast
- Amanda Flinner
- Bruce Pollock
- Corey O'Flanagan
- Dan MacIntosh
- Laura Antonelli
- Leslie Michele Derrough
- Maggie Grimason
- Nicole Roberge
- Roger Catlin
- Shawna Ortega
- Trevor Morelli
No Vaseline by Ice Cube
- Watching him take comic turns in movies and beer commercials, it's shocking that the same man once released songs like "No Vaseline," a raw (get it?) track where he takes on members of his former group, N.W.A. (Ice Cube was the first member to leave the group, splitting after their first tour in a spat over earnings). Written by Cube and produced by Sir Jinx, according to the 1994 publication The Book of Lists: The '90s Edition , by David Wallechinsky and Amy Wallace, "No Vaseline" appears on Adam Block's Secret Subjects of 15 Pop Songs . Actually, it was never that secret, this is what is known as a diss track , and was directed by Cube at his former bandmates in N.W.A., and most vehemently against his former manager Jerry Heller, who was not only white but Jewish. It includes the couplet: Get rid of that devil real simple Put a bullet in his temple This led to Cube being denounced by the Simon Wiesenthal Center, which obviously read anti-Semitism into his posturings. In the November 2, 1991 edition of the Los Angeles Times , Brian Turner, President of Cube's record company Priority responded, "Ice Cube's lyrics represent nothing more than a macho put-down kind of thing that stems from a long-standing feud between Cube and his former group, N.W.A. and that group's manager, Jerry Heller." It was not, he said, "anti-Semitic." Cube himself was quoted: "I'm not against Jews in either of those songs..." (the "either" was a reference to "True Game").
- "No Vaseline" is also an answer song of sorts, the first part refers to the N.W.A. track "Message To B.A.", which is itself a reference to Benedict "Ice Cube" Arnold.
- The Wiesenthal Center called for a boycott of the song, and of course this had the effect such boycotts always have. According to the aforementioned Book Of Lists , in England the police were prepared to destroy 23,000 copies of the record, and Island Records spent $40,000 defending it against an obscenity charge. >> Suggestion credit : Alexander Baron - London, England, for above 3
- Ice Cube later expressed regret over the anti-Semitic statements he made in this song, saying that while his vitriol was directed at Heller, and he shouldn't have taken his anger out on all Jewish people.
- Along with " Black Korea ," this was left off UK editions of Death Certificate , a decision made by his label in that territory, Island Records.
- More songs from Ice Cube
- More songs about betrayal
- More songs with products in the title
- More songs that use samples
- More diss tracks
- More songs from 1991
- Lyrics to No Vaseline
- Ice Cube Artistfacts
- Blackgotti from America Ice Cube dont regret nothing No Vaseline and the song talks about only one jew which isnt even anti Semitic
- Sioraf from Macroon, Ireland Spot on Dave.
- Dave from Edmonton, Canada Hey, why not tell us the actual facts and keep your opinions to yourself, Alex? The site is called Songfacts, not Songopinions. Keep your bias for the Comments secton, that's what it's for. (Also, thanks for mentioning Mary Whitehouse and not bothering to tell anyone exactly who she is, jackass)
Ben Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson's first #1 solo hit, "Ben," is about a pet rat.
When "Believe" hit #1 in America, it made Cher, age 52, the oldest woman ever to top the chart.
Bust A Move Young MC
Young MC shows up in the George Clooney movie Up In The Air performing his hit "Bust A Move."
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues Elton John
"I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" by Elton John was written for the sister of actress Rene Russo. Bernie Taupin, who wrote the lyrics, was married to Rene's sister, Toni.
Ebony and Ivory Paul McCartney
McCartney wrote his duet with Stevie Wonder, "Ebony and Ivory," after a marital tiff with Linda. He told Mojo magazine : "It was like, 'Why can't we get it together- our piano can.'"
Blowin' In The Wind Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan was little known when he released "Blowin' In The Wind" so the cover versions - especially by Peter, Paul and Mary and Stan Getz - were much more popular at the time.
Spooner Oldham Songwriter Interviews
His keyboard work helped define the Muscle Shoals sound and make him an integral part of many Neil Young recordings. Spooner is also an accomplished songwriter, whose hits include "I'm Your Puppet" and "Cry Like A Baby."
Christmas Songs Fact or Fiction
Rudolf, Bob Dylan and the Singing Dogs all show up in this Fact or Fiction for seasonal favorites.
Black Sabbath Fact or Fiction
Dwarfs on stage with an oversize Stonehenge set? Dabbling in Satanism? Find out which Spinal Tap-moments were true for Black Sabbath.
Jay, Peaches, Spinderella and other Darrining Victims Song Writing
Just like Darrin was replaced on Bewitched, groups have swapped out original members, hoping we wouldn't notice.
Motley Crue Fact or Fiction
Was Dr. Feelgood a dentist? Did the "Crüecifixion" really happen?
Songs Discussed in Movies Song Writing
Bridesmaids, Reservoir Dogs, Willy Wonka - just a few of the flicks where characters discuss specific songs, sometimes as a prelude to murder.
A monthly update on our latest interviews, stories and added songs
- Terms of Service
- Songfacts API
- Music History Calendar
- Song Licensing
- Affiliate Disclosure
- X (Twitter)
- Message Boards
- Songfacts Writers
©2023 Songfacts, LLC
What does no vaseline mean?
Definitions for no vaseline no vase·line, this dictionary definitions page includes all the possible meanings, example usage and translations of the word no vaseline ., did you actually mean naphazoline or nova salmon , wikipedia rate this definition: 0.0 / 0 votes.
No Vaseline is a diss track by Ice Cube from his second album, Death Certificate. The song was produced by Ice Cube and Sir Jinx. The UK release of Death Certificate omitted this song, along with the 46-second long "Black Korea". The song contains vicious lyrics and remarks towards Ice Cube's former group, N. W. A, which Ice Cube left in December 1989 due to royalty issues. The antagonists are his former bandmates, Eazy-E, Dr. Dre, MC Ren, DJ Yella and their manager, Jerry Heller, whom Ice Cube blames for causing the rift in the group. Ice Cube recorded this song in response to the comments N. W. A made towards him in their albums 100 Miles and Runnin' and Niggaz4Life. "No Vaseline" is widely regarded as one of the best diss tracks of all time by critics and fans alike.
How to pronounce no vaseline?
Alex US English David US English Mark US English Daniel British Libby British Mia British Karen Australian Hayley Australian Natasha Australian Veena Indian Priya Indian Neerja Indian Zira US English Oliver British Wendy British Fred US English Tessa South African
How to say no vaseline in sign language?
The numerical value of no vaseline in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of no vaseline in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Translations for no vaseline
From our multilingual translation dictionary.
- कोई वैसलीन नहीं Hindi
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a free new word definition delivered to your inbox daily.
Please enter your email address:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:.
Style: MLA Chicago APA
"no vaseline." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 5 Nov. 2023. < https://www.definitions.net/definition/no+vaseline >.
Discuss these no vaseline definitions with the community:
We're doing our best to make sure our content is useful, accurate and safe. If by any chance you spot an inappropriate comment while navigating through our website please use this form to let us know, and we'll take care of it shortly.
You need to be logged in to favorite .
Create a new account.
Your name: * Required
Your email address: * Required
Pick a user name: * Required
Username: * Required
Password: * Required
Forgot your password? Retrieve it
Are we missing a good definition for no vaseline ? Don't keep it to yourself...
Image credit, the web's largest resource for, definitions & translations, a member of the stands4 network.
Free, no signup required :
Add to chrome, add to firefox, browse definitions.net, are you a words master, remove completely from recognition or memory.
- A. transpire
- B. abduct
- C. efface
- D. affront
Nearby & related entries:
- no tomorrow
- no u hang up
- no vaseline
- no vaya a ser
- no way but the hard way
Alternative searches for no vaseline :
- Search for no vaseline on Amazon
- Search for no vaseline on Google